Energy Saving Opportunities Scheme (ESOS)
Are you affected by the ESOS regulations?
Your will have to comply with the requirements of the ESOS regulations if:
- Your organisation employs more than 250 people
- You employ less than 250 people, but have a turnover greater than 50 million Euros or your balance sheet is greater than 43 million Euros.
The ESOS regulations apply mainly to businesses, but will apply to any non-profit or other non-public sector organisation that meets the criteria.
Third compliance period
For the qualification date for the third compliance period (31 December 2022) a large undertaking is any UK company that either:
- employs 250 or more people
- has an annual turnover in excess of £44 million, and an annual balance sheet total in excess of £38 million.
You must take part in ESOS if your undertaking is part of a corporate group which includes another UK undertaking or UK establishment which meets these criteria.
Who administers the ESOS regulations?
The Environment Agency (EA) administers the scheme for the whole of the UK.
What do I need to do?
If you are affected by the ESOS regulations then you must:
- Calculate total energy consumption. This includes energy used in buildings, processes and transport by your organisation or group.
- Identify areas of significant consumption. This must account for 90% of total energy used by your organisation.
- Appoint a lead assessor. Your lead assessor with carry out or oversee your energy audits or overall ESOS assessment.
- Notify the Environment Agency. By 31 December 2023 you must submit your ESOS notification of compliance to the EA.
- Keep records. You must keep records of how you have complied with the ESOS regulations.
Where can I get detailed guidance on the ESOS regulations?
- SEPA: Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme
- GOV.UK: Comply with the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme
- GOV.UK: A guide to implementing Enery Saving Opportunities
The Carbon Trust has produced a guide to the ESOS regulations and can offer services to help achieve compliance.