You may need a water authorisation / licence / consent if you:

  • Discharge effluent to the water environment
  • Abstract water from the water environment
  • Construct or alter impounding works in inland water (other than groundwater) or wetlands
  • Operate impounding works in surface water or wetlands
  • Carry out building or engineering works in inland water or wetlands
  • Directly or indirectly discharge, and any activity likely to cause a direct or indirect discharge, into groundwater of any hazardous substance or other pollutant
  • Artificially recharge or augment groundwater
  • Carry out any other activity which directly or indirectly has or is likely to have a significant adverse impact on the water environment